Full Day Martinborough Wine Tour
- Wine tasting at 4 award winning vineyards
- Local gourmet cuisine to compliment your taste in wine
- Meeting some of the winemakers
- On the way to the wine region seeing some of the filming sites of Lord of the Rings
- Scenic views
- C’est Cheese in Featherston
Details of Tour:
Martinborough is a popular destination approximately one hour’s drive from Wellington City. It is characterised by quaint little towns dotted between rolling fields of sheep, olives and grapes – all set against a panoramic mountain backdrop- and is located at the centre of the Wairarapa wine region.
This easy-paced tour offers a leisurely wine-tasting experience while travelling through our rural countryside.
You will be picked up from your meeting point and whisked out of the city on a fast moving motorway. We will then wind through the picturesque Hutt Valley, and along the way I will point out some of the filming sites of Lord of the Rings, including Helms Deep, Minas Trith, River Anduin and Rivendell.
A twenty minute drive over the Remutaka Mountain Range will bring us into the tranquillity of the Wairarapa region. Ten more minutes of travelling and we arrive in Martinborough, where your first wine tasting experience is about to begin.
While small in terms of total wine production, Wairarapa’s boutique wineries have big international reputations for the quality of their Pinot Noir wines, which is a notoriously difficult wine to make well.
We will visit four of our favourite wineries and listen to the wine makers explaining with passion the history of their wines and inviting you to taste a variety of them. You will have the opportunity to purchase wine and have it delivered internationally if you choose, and what better way to relive your Martinborough experience once you are back in your own home, than reminiscing around the dinner table with a bottle of your favourite tasting from the day.
Lunch will be provided at one of the four wineries. Before heading back over the hill to Wellington the Martinborough experience is topped off by visiting C’est Cheese in Featherston, where you can indulge in an impressive selection of award winning cheeses.
Included in your tour:
- 7 to 7½ hours’ duration
- Hotel, Cruise Ship or Wellington Central City pick ups
- Tasting fees and GST at four premium wineries
- Lunch (platter and glass of wine)
- 2017 12-seater Minibus with multi vent air-conditioning and guide’s sound system
- Adult: NZ$240.00 per person (Minimum of 2 guests per tour)